How to Resolve Stick Drift on a PS5 Controller 2023
Experiencing stick drift on your PS5 controller can be frustrating, but there are several methods to address this issue, ranging from simple fixes to more complex solutions. These strategies are primarily applicable to the PlayStation 5’s DualSense and DualSense Edge controllers, but they can also be adapted for older models such as the PS4’s DualShock 4.
PS5 Controller Drift Repair Strategies:
1. Clean Your PS5 Controller: Regularly clean your controller to remove grime that may cause drift.
2. Check for Firmware Updates: Connect your controller to the PS5 and check for firmware updates. Follow on-screen prompts for installation if needed.
3. Update Your PS5 Console: Navigate to Settings > System > System Software Update and ensure your PS5 is running the latest operating system.
4. Reset Your PS5 Controller: Perform a factory reset of your controller to resolve gameplay or connectivity issues.
5. Toggle Bluetooth On and Off: Turn off and on Bluetooth on your PS5 to resolve potential conflicts.
6. Adjust DualSense Edge Deadzones (If Applicable): If you have a DualSense Edge Wireless Controller, adjust stick sensitivity to counteract drift. Navigate to Settings > Accessories > DualSense Edge Wireless Controller > Custom Profiles > Create Custom Profile.
7. Replace DualSense Edge Wireless Controller Sticks (If Applicable): DualSense Edge controllers allow users to replace sticks easily. However, this may void the warranty on non-Edge controllers.
8. Seek a Replacement from the Store: If purchased recently, many stores will replace faulty controllers. Keep your receipt and packaging for a smoother exchange.
9. Check Sony’s Warranty and Repairs: If your controller is under warranty, Sony may offer free repairs or replacements.
10. Attempt DIY Repair (As a Last Resort): Open your controller and replace sticks yourself, but be aware that this may void warranties and should only be attempted as a last resort.
What Is PS5 Controller Drift? PS5 controller drift, also known as stick drift or joystick drift, occurs when the joysticks on a PS5 controller register movement without any user input. This issue can result from hardware or software problems or a combination of both. Common symptoms include characters moving on their own in games, vehicles drifting in racing games, and random menu selections.
Testing for PS5 Controller Drift: To check for stick drift, play a game that requires joystick input and place your controller on a flat surface. If the game responds as if the sticks are being moved without your input, you likely have a stick drift issue.
Addressing PS5 controller drift is essential to ensure an enjoyable gaming experience, and these strategies should help you resolve the problem effectively.